Dia.Vi.Pe.Thi.V. S.A. is committed to protecting and preserving the marine environment as well as the relevant marine ecosystem, promoting sustainable use of the maritime area of Nousa Bay, where port facilities of Thisvi Industrial Area are located.
In order to achieve this objective, Dia.Vi.Pe.Thi.V. S.A. applies an environmental contingency plan, which is based on prevention and anti-pollution measures of the marine environment. The environmental contingency plan aims to provide a mechanism to prepare and coordinate all the necessary actions, so that in the event of pollution incident or imminent threat of sea or coastline pollution, all necessary measures will be taken in a timely and coordinated manner, to eliminate the impact on the marine environment and protect local communities.
Prevention of pollution is achieved by:
- Inspections of preventive measures at the terrestrial port facilities and the ships entering the Thisvi Industrial Area Port;
- conducting measurements of seawater and sediment samples, annually;
- training of port facility personnel, so that they are capable of confronting any pollution incident in a timely, coordinated and efficient manner;
- implementation of drill exercises, so as to ensure the alertness of personnel and their training in the use of pollution abatement equipment and the alertness of contractors;
- construction and operation of facilities for collecting refuse and other wastes from ships, and cooperation with licensed companies thereof;
- on-going efforts for the modernization of available pollution abatement equipment and materials.
In case of incidents the following measures are taken:
- direct activation and application of the existing emergency plan and utilization of all available measures and equipment;
- use of appropriate and environmentally-friendly methods for the abatement of pollution at sea and on land.